Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Glowing Eyes - Yes, it happens.

I never bought into the idea that some Sasquatch reports noted "glowing" eyes. Not that I didn't believe the report in itself, but perhaps it was "enhanced"to draw attention. Glowing eyes is certainly a unique characteristic which is worthy of examination, don't you agree? In some respects it detracts from the actual sighting in itself. You saw a Sasquatch, or so you think, but you dwell on the "glowing eyes". Back up for a sec - you saw a Sasquatch? Aside from the glowing eyes, what else did you see? Or did you just see glowing eyes and then assume it was a Sasquatch. You need to put the horse before the cart to make reports like these move.

Now I certainly do not dispel the idea that "glowing eyes" exist. And I know that for a fact, only because I came across a unique situation that had me do a double-take when I noted a small fawn cross the road in North Oakville. Late at night. Glowing eyes. Glancing over to the shoulder and quickly noticing the eyes, but cautiously roaming back to the road to maintain control and care of the car - in that instance, I did not know what it was. I did not think Sasquatch - no, it was an animal, but it caught my attention and it caught me off guard. I quickly identified it as it leapt across the road, thankfully it did not pause like many do and become a splattered hood ornament. If that was the case I probably would not be writing this post right now.

The thing is, it was a perfect re-enactment. The fawn, the eyes, the fast action & movement. For a moment one might think of many things, see a shadow associated with the eyes, or just be travelling in a car too quickly to make sense of an observation. That was me, for a moment, but I put 2+2 together and I figured it out. As for these creatures in the forest that have glowing red eyes, I can only look back at my own experiences to relate to such stories and ask myself "Why"?

And you know, it's funny that the first answer I got was the most obvious. Your looking for something. Your waving your flashlight all over. Yeah, you might startle an animal, so what is it going to do? You got it - look at you. Voila -Glowing eyes. Surprised? Shouldn't be. You ever hit a tree with a Q-Beam after you scared the hell out of those little critters in your garbage can (for you city folk we call them raccoons LOL). Look at those little glowing eyes peering down at you. They don't really care about you. They just want YOU to disappear so that they come come back down out of the tree and continue their meal.

Reports are increasingly suggestive that much of a Sasquatches activity occurs during the nighttime. No doubt a nocturnal creature, thus the eyesight must be quite good in low light and the eyes themselves must be quite reflective. So let's take this one step further. As a creature that we deem to have an extended level of intelligence, would you think that it would continue to stare at a light source (causing the eyeshine) for any extended period of time? Not likely. Especially considering the fact that it's nightvision may be blown for a few minutes after such an exposure, thus limiting it's endurance. We've done it ourselves. If we look at something bright, we immediately squint and in most cases turn away. It preserves our vision based on the circumstances.

So, as I mentioned at the beginning, I never bought into the idea that Sasquatch's have glowing eyes. Based on what I mentioned, it's just a matter of the reflection of light. Many animals exhibit such visual behaviour. and no, I'm not classifying Sasquatch as an animal but just reiterating fact. Next time you see glowing eyes, think of the circumstances. Eyes usually only glow when a light source (visible or not) causes a reflection of such. Think of flash photography. Think of red-eye. The rest is left to your own thoughts.
Jason

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. I do not put any faith in reports of the "paranormal" or "mystical" sasquatch,when I hear things about squatch using brain waves to disable starters on vehicles,using ESP to freeze humans in place and other outlandish reports..I just shrug them off. However,I think the glowing eyes aspect probably is the same sort of light reflection that we see in many of our nocturnal species. I applaud you for keeping your show and your blog on level and scientific terms. We will get nowhere with all the outrageous claims of the "lunatic fringe" element of our community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most logical explanation would be some unknown source of ambient light causing the eye shine, and more than likely, that's what it will turn out to be. However, I think we are making a big assumption that this creature is a mammal. It seems to be so accepted that no one ever questions it in any book, show, or forum I've come across. I know, if it walks like a duck.....but still, there are lots of other things just as equally plausible that bigfoot could be. My personal opinion is that it has more aquatic abilities than we realize. It would explain why so little is ever found in the way of evidence and might be an explanation for the eye shine. Bioluminescence has evolved indepently in several species at least 40-50 times from what I've been reading.There has never been an incidence of it in a fresh water species, or in any higher life form than a fish. Science, and the scientific method, usually only deals with "norms" not potentials. I wouldn't completely dismiss the reports of eye shine so smuggly just yet until we definitely know what bigfoot is, if we can ever prove it exists.

    ReplyDelete