Monday, February 15, 2010

Alone

Alone. It's a powerful word. "I did it by myself. I was all ALONE". It builds power. Statements become reinforced when one say's "It was just me, I did it. I was there...alone".

On the other hand, "Alone" takes on a whole new level of everything that we thought would mean nothing, really, physically or mentally, until you look at the end result.

I saw a Sasquatch. It was terrifying. At least 6 feet tall, dark, hairy. Moving with a slight hunch.

Now that is quite an opening line, don't you think? Now imagine if it was opened with or closed with "I was alone at the time". Do you step back.....do you go into skeptic mode and say "wait a minute...you were alone? No one else can back you up on this unusual event? Are you pulling my leg?"

Yet some stick to their guns and swear up and down that they saw, heard, smelt or just plain "experienced a sasquatch". Oh, of course, they were alone at the time. ALONE. Yeah, back to that word again.

It's hard to give any more than a bit of attention to a word that is so loosely used. "I was going it alone" "I saw it there, I was alone". "There was no one else around me. I was alone".

People will always try to reinforce the situational environment that they have "apparently"
been exposed to in order to try and draw a more attentive and agreeing crowd.

For example, one might escalate a story (and draw skeptics and such alike) into the scene by saying "I was alone" but it doesn't necessarily build things up. It adds a questionable circumstance about one's situation and the actual incident that occurred. Without others to back it up, we might as well throw it into the blobsquatch category.

Look at the amount of reports by people saying that they were alone at the time but this is when it happened. Now in contrast, how many people really do venture out into the bush ALONE? And of course, come back with these stories?

What stories you ask? Well, I was alone at the time.....

Hope you had a great weekend.
J


No comments:

Post a Comment