Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Creepy coincidence

I took a mini-hiatus from blogging in order to catch up on other aspects of my life but I just had to post this.

A long time ago I was up at a campsite - well, actually it was just a nice "clearing" on the north end of a beautiful lake surrounded by some pretty dense bush. I had been travelling up to this area for many years and so in some respects, I was very comfortable with my surroundings and I considered this place to be "my second home" away from home.

So, like I mentioned, it was a long time ago - say around 2003. I was up at the campsite and I was sitting in my lawnchair going over a map and I heard a soft roar which got louder; binoculars were deployed and scanning the area I came across a lonely boater heading up the lake towards my location. After a few moments I could assemble enough clarity through the binoculars to determine that it was a middle aged man who had a fishing rod hanging off the back of the boat, most likely trolling. I think the fellow noticed me when I had stood up to get the binoculars but it didn't really seem to phase him. As he approached closer I was the first to call out "Been a lucky fishing day for yah"?

He chuckled and said "If it's luck you need to catch them, then I have none"

I laughed, said that was strange, the lake is usually a good producer.

He nodded his head and continued on. A few moments later he asked "Were are you from"? Now my normal response would be just to say "The Toronto area" but I told him the actual name of the town of where I lived - at the time it was Acton and I don't really think it meant anything to him. He paused and then said St. Thomas. I nodded back; I knew the place he was talking about. That's a good 5 hour trip,if not more.

"Camping"? He said....and I replied "a little bit of everything. Yeah camping too!"

He laughed and onwards he went.

I never saw the fellow again during my trip. Nor any other trip.

Not until a week ago. This is where it gets creepy. I was at a gas station in Oakville. As I was filling up I noticed a person pull in, towing a boat behind their truck. The guy got out and began filling his truck. I looked at the boat over and over then I looked back at him. I had this feeling that I knew this guy but he was the first to jump on it. "Acton, right?" He said......

I paused for a moment then replied "St. Thomas, right?". He immediately smirked and replied "you got it!"

What are the odds.....what are the chances? Well, I felt lucky that day, and as I was inside the gas station making a coffee, he came in to pay for his gas. After doing so, he came over and extended his hand. "Hi I'm Nick". I immediately returned the gesture and extended my hand - "Hi, Jason. Nice to meet you!". He immediately replied "what are the odds"...

We chatted for a bit out in front of the pumps and I was surprised how fast the time flew; it was really a coincidental thing. This chap had no previous connection to the lake with the exception of him being introduced to it a year prior by a friend. He mentioned that it was quite enjoyable and he had been up a few times. As for me asking him about sasquatch activity? Well, I held back. He was a newbie. I feel horrible for using that term but at this point what else can I use or describe it with?

My friend, if you are reading this, you might very well know what may await you on your next trip.

Don't let it be a deterrent. We are just visiting it's vast backyard.

J.

No comments:

Post a Comment