Wednesday, November 19, 2014

EV so far....

Its been cold at night and now we have snow. I let myself get into a bit of range anxiety with my electric car. If you don't already know, I recently ( well a few months ago), purchased a Smart Fortwo ED (Electric Drive). Completely electric, no engine. The range anxiety started when I noticed the battery performance took a bit of a hit during the colder temps. To be expected, batteries do not perform as well during cooler climates and then you have the added draw of your accessories such as your heater and defroster, maybe your seat heaters too.

So, as I mentioned, to be expected.
But where the real range anxiety lies is when we get into the real winter, -15c or lower, over a period of time. Or what if we have cold snaps, -20 to -30c? That will be the real test but I'm comforted by the fact that work has chargers.

So far so good. Great traction control system ( found that out today, in addition to the ABS system). A good ride on snow and slippery icy surfaces.

The only issue which will just take time to learn, is going back to rear wheel drive with a vehicle that has a load of power / torque on acceleration. Stability control kicks in but you still have to work with the car, in some situations, back off the accelerator a bit.
Other than that we are doing OK.

More to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment